Tuesday, January 13, 2009

National Day of Service

After spending two hours chipping away and shoveling out gigantic piles of snow that city plows had pushed into the curb cuts that are supposed provide access to cross the streets, I began to feel frustrated and exhausted. So I started talking to God, kind of like Tevia in Fiddler on the Roof.  

I cried out in frustration, "Why God, did you create snow?" Surprisingly I got an answer. "So that you can learn to help each other."

Of course all this was in my mind. I wasn't really talking. I didn't want anyone to think that I was delusional. But it did make sense to me. If we are on this earth to learn to love each other, than how can we do it unless we serve each other?

The next day I received the Michelle Obama invitation to sign up for the National Day of Service on January 19 in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  You can click on the website and find an event in your area or you can host your own. 

So I'm hosting a snow shoveling event in my neighborhood. Our object is to clear the curb cuts and walkways for elders and for those who use wheelchairs. We will meet at noon. Everybody will bring their own shovel and we will create an accessible neighborhood. 

I'm so excited. A few people have already signed up. I don't care if it's an army of volunteers or just a handful. If we can raise awareness and work on a problem at the same time it will be worth it.

If you can't join us and you live where there is snow, you can simply look around your own neighborhood and spend an hour or so shoveling out someone's car, driveway, walkway or curb cut. It's exercise too and costs less than a health club.  





1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

I love you! I really do!

And how shallow am I? All I kept thinking was, "Boy do I love my all wheel drive!"