Monday, January 19, 2009

Accessibility and Much More

I am so grateful for the many many shovelers who showed up and worked untiringly during our "Martin Luther King Day of Service" curbcut clearing event. I could hardly believe my eyes as the small army of volunteers began appearing in the parking lot behind my building. They kept coming and coming and coming. There were so many of them, all with huge smiles on their faces, eager to help. 

What a contrast to the lonely morning two Sundays ago, when I shoveled curb cuts for two hours to prevent my daughter from getting stuck in her wheelchair during her one block trek to church. Really, those lovely kind hearted neighbors of mine had no idea how much their presence meant to me!

We all learned a lot. The volunteers learned how difficult it is to clear those huge piles of snow after the temperature drops. It was in the teens today. I learned that when we do it next year, I need to be a bit more organized.

But the most important thing I learned is that I am not alone and I live in a fantastic part of the country.

They came from my neighborhood in Evanston, IL. They came from Chicago, and they came from Wilmette. Children, young adults, older adults, all shoveled sidewalks, chipped huge mounds of ice, and cleared curbcuts. So that people with disabilities and elders could get around safely. Some even brought food donations for the Chicago Food Depository. Everybody was excited, energized and more than happy to help out.

While we drank coffee and hot chocolate afterward, some of us discovered that we had been living within just a couple of blocks of each other and we laughed at the fact that it took the internet and a community service project for us to finally connect. 

What a day! I've been smiling so much that my cheek muscles hurt. No, we didn't solve the problem completely. And yes, there's still plenty of snow to shovel and we still have to figure out how to get the city to stop plowing the snow into the curbcuts. But I am absolutely certain that "yes we can" improve our community when we work together.

Each of these extremely hard workers needs to be recognized. Thanks, thanks, thanks! 

Below is one of the messages that I received from volunteer Steve. It may not sound like we accomplished much, but you can't believe how long it took to clear each corner.

Wow, what a great turnout! .....I don't have to tell you how hard it was to cut thru some of the ice but we prevailed and did some pretty good work.

The only remarkable piece was at the corner of Monroe and Elmwood (NW crossing heading South). The snow was piled at least 4 feet high and the entire walkway was buried(daunting). I just couldn't tackle that one after breaking up the ice on Ridge. However, a team of really hardy souls just dove right in and opened the entire crossing. 

Our entire group was terrific, no one complained, they all jumped right in and did an awesome job.

We took many more pictures which I will post soon. These are just a few of us who stopped in at the coffee shop afterward.


Some people went home and shoveled again or shoveled at their own homes if they weren't able to join the group. Believe me, it's a lot harder than it looks here!

As probably many of us did today, I shoveled two spots near my apartment this afternoon. Happy to have a greater consciousness of how I can help.
Every blessing,
Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! Way to go, Mary! In addition to clearing the curbcuts, you also raised a lot of awareness of this issue for these volunteers.

Janet Gayes

Mary M said...

I am so lucky to live in such a caring and active community. I'm not sure that 50 or more volunteers would have shown up at the drop of a hat in every community. But then again, maybe it is part of the new spirit of America!