Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wheelchair banned from Chicago Ice Skating Rink

Because this blog is dedicated to the many people who give of themselves to others, I wish to pay tribute to a man named James. James got into a fight with his boss today because that boss put him in an extremely precarious position. Chicago's Navy Pier hosts an annual Winter Festival complete with giant lighted snowmen, Christmas trees, Ferris wheel, Santa's helpers and free ice skating. My daughter and I love to ice skate. It is one of the activities that we can do together without any special accommodation for her wheelchair.

 There we were wheeling and skating to the sounds of Christmas when James motioned for my daughter to come over to the side of the rink. He told her that she had to get off the ice because his boss told him that "her wheelchair poses a safety risk to the other skaters."  (See the picture? Does she look like a she's threatening the safety of the other skaters to you?) James was very apologetic. He told her that hadn't seen any problem with her skating in her own way. In fact he had been enjoying watching her having a good time. 

I couldn't believe it. I was pretty sure banning her from the skating rink was illegal, a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I called city hall. I called our local disability rights organization. No one was available to talk right then. I had hoped that someone in power could convince James' boss that we had as much right to have fun as anyone else. 

Nothing worked. The police were called. My daughter was forced to stop skating. As we sat outside the Winterfest crying and making phone calls, James found us. He offered his phone number in case we needed anyone to support our side of the issue. He told us that he had tried his best to talk his boss out of throwing us out of the rink, and that he felt awful. I am grateful for James and his kind heart, still sad but grateful. 

Banning a young woman who uses a wheelchair from ice skating at the Chicago Winterfest seems to be the very antithesis of the holiday spirit. It's not only wrong, but it also may be illegal. We will continue to work to get this ridiculous policy changed.


6 comments:

Danielle Filas said...

I am sitting here staring, open-mouthed at the screen. How unbelievable the idea of someone being so small-minded.... and so vocal and insistent about being so small-minded.
Kudos to James for fighting for what is right, even at risk to himself.
And kudos to YOU, my sage friend, for being an enlightened enough being to focus on James and his act of beauty, as opposed to Stupid McBigot and his act of ignorance. I am proud to count you among my friends!

Mary M said...

Thanks Danielle,
Your comment cheered me up. We are both having a difficult time staying on the high road.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary & Nura
I wonder why 'James' boss' couldn't be bothered to throw a crippled kid (coming straight from one to another) off the ice himself!!!
Margy

PS I am honored as well for having you guys as my friends. I know that I myself would probably not find the soul of James as an honorable thing. My mouth would take over. Just thee truth as I see it

Mary M said...

Policy is now changed. Wanna go skating with us?

Anonymous said...

You did it! I am so happy for you and Nura -- and very proud of your self-advocacy! Fabulous work, ladies. Carry on the flag for disability awareness! And always count me in.

I love you both!
Jo
========

Dan Robinson said...

My son has been excluded from a rink in San Francisco, and I would love to hear the story of how you got the policy changed at the rink in Chicago, and whether you have any suggestions for us. I created a Facebook Causes page for my son at http://www.causes.com/causes/562548.

It would be great to hear from you - you can reach me through that causes page or at
d at racket dot net.

Thanks!