Tuesday, February 23, 2010

People with Disabilities are Not "Punishment"

As I watched the Rachel Maddow show last night and learned that a Virginia lawmaker referred to  children with disabilities as "God's punishment," my writer's block suddenly lifted. I usually don't write about politics but this is more than politics. To me, it's about valuable people being used and regarded as less than everyone else. 


I'm also disappointed that the show did not include an interview with a spokesperson for disability rights groups, maybe Marca Bristo from Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago, or any other person representing disability rights groups (ADAPT). Maybe they could have contacted Mike Ervin, from ADAPT? He is a fantastic writer who happens to have a disability. There are countless other people with disabilities who would probably be glad to refute that Virginia lawmaker's comment.


Maybe they would have pointed out that if the lawmaker referred to children with disabilities as "punishment," he must have no friends with disabilities, and by now that lawmaker surely will get no votes from people with disabilities.


I wonder if the parents and friends of Andrea Boccelli, Itzhak Perlman, Marilee Matlyn, Stevie Wonder and the friends of all the writers, teachers, moms, dads, and other Americans who also happen to have a disability consider them a "punishment?


What if that lawmaker had referred to African Americans as "punishment," or Gays and Lesbians as "punishment?" I understand that his issue was planned parenthood and Rachel's response was to that issue. However, I find it extremely offensive to use people with disabilities in that manner and I'm surprised that Rachel didn't have a disability rights advocate on her show for a response.

4 comments:

Danielle Filas said...

Personally, I think Bob Marshall and those like him are God's punishment. UGH!

(By the way, the verification word I have to type in to post this is "hidebuts" Don't know why, but that makes me laugh.)

Keep on keeping on, lady.

Mary M said...

I miss you Danielle. When are you coming to Chicago?

Barbara Blough said...

Perhaps the good congressman has not grown out of his adolescent years with the experiences of life which would have informed him of the value of having to overcome. With obviously sooooo little life experience, and therefore sooooo little ability to empathize, what is he doing in congress?
Barbara Blough
Special Education Teacher

Camilla said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog, and I'm shocked at what that guy said. You're right--he obviously doesn't know anyone with a disability. My daughter is severely disabled...and the most popular kid in her school! No one who meets her would ever call her or her disability a "punishment." That's partly why she's in a regular classroom and we get out in the community as much as possible, to educate people.