Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Extreme Kindness Virus Strikes Again

You've heard about "extreme sports" right? I like to participate in "extreme kindness" instead. In fact, about a year ago, I wrote about how contagious "extreme kindness" can become and how my neighborhood has been looking a lot better because of all the kind people who have been picking up litter and going that extra mile for each other.

The other day the Obama administration called for a day of action for health care. So I figured that would be the perfect opportunity to spread the kindness virus a bit. Guess what? It worked.

I posted an opportunity for just 5 people to join me in visiting elders in our local nursing home. There were already 4 of us who visit the nursing home regularly, and we had discovered that there are plenty of elders who love to have visitors on a regular basis. We had already made friends with Grace, Evelyn, Eileen, and many others and we enjoy birthdays, holidays, and ordinary days with them.

Anyway, the plan was to show up at the nursing home and just talk to anyone who happens to be sitting in the hallway or sitting outside the rooms of the people whom we regularly visit. I made it clear that this was not going to be a one-day activity where a group of volunteers shows up to play bingo so that we could feel good about ourselves.

The idea was to make a real connection as a friend with one or two people and then let them know that each of us would be back to visit. It worked beautifully! All 9 of us connected.

Afterwards, all the volunteers told me that they had a lot of fun learning about the lives of their new "friends" and also that for sure they would visit regularly.

That was about a week ago. Yesterday, my daughter and I showed up with a pizza for Evelyn's birthday. Evelyn told us that one of the new volunteers had already stopped by with non alcoholic champagne to celebrate and that she had been waiting for the pizza to go along with it.

Another one of the new volunteers emailed me to let me know that she was on her way to sit with Grace, who has been living there for more than 2 years with no known friends or family.

So now 9 of us have caught the "virus." But instead of making us sick like real viruses, we have all discovered, one by one, that this "kindness virus" actually brings us joy.

We experience joy, because we realize that "others" who may need us, actually have much to offer us, and that we have much to offer them, the gift of our presence.

As I grieve over last week's death of Marjory, who I had been visiting for two years. I celebrate her gifts to me. At 87 years old she played piano for me almost every week. She played hymns from memory while she talked at the same time. She played Christmas songs even in the summer. We didn't care. She constantly reminded me to "love in many ways." And best of all, even up until the end she recited the Beatitudes from memory.

So as we pass the virus on one person at a time, I pass my gift from Marjory to you.

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.
Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Pretty soon if the "Extreme Kindness Virus" keeps spreading, it won't be "extreme" any more at all, it will just be "normal life."

1 comment:

Aimee said...

What a wonderful story! I love it. I love the ending especially.....